Gareth Bale and other senior Wales players met with Chris Coleman after Monday's defeat to Republic of Ireland to try and persuade him to stay on as manager, according to Sky sources.
Wales' hopes of qualifying for next summer's World Cup in Russia were dashed after the defeat to Martin O'Neill's side.
Coleman's current contract is due to expire in the summer, and he has so far been reluctant to talk to the Football Association of Wales about a new deal.
Sky sources have been told that the Wales players decided they needed to approach Coleman, and tell him of their wish for him to stay.
Some of those discussions happened at the Cardiff City Stadium, another back at the team hotel later in the evening.
We understand FAW Chief Executive Jonathan Ford has already told Coleman he wants him to commit to a new contract, and oversee the qualification attempt for Euro 2020.
Ford wants to sit down with Coleman as soon as possible, and definitely before Wales's next friendly match, which is likely to be against Mexico or the United States in the second week of November.
The loss to Ireland in their final World Cup Qualifier was Wales' first defeat in 10 internationals and follows the high of Euro 2016 when Coleman led the team to the semi-finals of their first major tournament in 58 years.