Government has condemned the attack on three Ghanaian Times journalists by some police officers.
While addressing the press on Sunday, the Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said he’s had discussions with the Editor of the newspaper and has asked him to write to the Ministry so that efforts are made to speed up investigations into the matter for the necessary disciplinary actions to be taken against the culprits.
“It is condemnable. I spoke to the editor of the Ghanaian Times within hours of picking information about the incident and we have asked then to formally write to us so that we quickly engage with the Interior Minister,” he added.
“The level of force that police officers are allowed to use is always expected to be reasonable and on probable cause grounds so it is important to have this matter very quickly investigated and the necessary disciplinary sanctions brought to bear,” the Minister added.
The Journalists were travelling in their official vehicle to their various assigned venues when they decided to film an accident involving a police officer riding an unregistered motorcycle who had hit their vehicle.
About ten police officers, who were unhappy about the filming and ensuing exchanges between the journalists’ driver and the police motor rider, and in an attempt to cease the recording device, reportedly pounced on the journalists and assaulted them.
One of the journalists, a lactating mother who had her baby through a caesarean section, was hit in the lower abdomen, collapsed, and was rushed to the Emergency Unit of the Ridge Hospital while the others were again manhandled by the police.
CHRAJ condemns Police assault on Ghanaian Times journos
The Commission of Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) condemned the assault describing it as a “heinous crime”.
According to the Commission, the assault on the journalists is a clear case of human rights violation, adding that the victims should all be compensated.
We’ll file charges against police officers who attacked our reporters – Ghanaian Times
Print media house, Ghanaian Times says it will file charges against police officials who assaulted three of its reporters earlier this week.
In a Citi News interview, Editor for Ghanaian Times, David Agbenu said his outfit will soon make available a report on the attack to the Information Ministry, which is expected to be forwarded to the Interior Ministry for appropriate actions to be taken.
“We have made initial contacts with the Ministry of Information because that is our Sector Minister and we are going to provide him with a full report and ask that the matter be reported officially to the Minister of Interior who has jurisdiction over the Police so appropriate action is taken.”
“The Police say that they are charging Malik for assault. We are contesting it and we are going to file charges against the Police for attacking our reporters and also for causing damage to our vehicle.”
We’re investigating assault on Ghanaian Times reporters – Police
The Police administration says it has commenced investigations into the assault of three Ghanaian Times journalists.
It said the police service is looking into the motor traffic accident allegedly committed by the police officers as well.