22
Fri, Sep
14 New Articles

The Obuasi Circuit Court, presdided over by Justice F.W.K. Nawura, last Wednesday fined seven of the 11 persons arrested at Akrokerri in the Ashanti Region on August 30, 2017 by the Joint Taskforce GH¢2,400 each for engaging in illegal mining.

This is the first conviction of the 308 persons so far arrested by the Operation Vanguard, Joint Taskforce.

The 11 persons were all charged on two counts of conspiracy to commit crime (undertaking small scale mining without licence) and undertaking small scale mining without licence.

Information Minister, Mustapha Hamid

The government says a directive requiring owners of disabled vehicles to pay for their towing does invalidate the law mandating vehicle owners to remove all obstacles from the road.

Information Minister, Mustapha Hamid, stated on Joy FM Friday, that the “plan as it exists now remains”.

The policy remains that “Vehicles [must be] removed [and] owners should be surcharged,” Mr. Hamid told Super Morning Show host, Kojo Yankson.

The government was compelled to abandon the implementation of the LI 2180, which mandated vehicle owners to mandatorily pay an annual levy at the point of renewing roadworthy certificates, to cater for towing services. 

The decision to ditch the policy was preceded by huge public disapproval of the public over the decision of the implementing agency, National Road Safety Commission to award the contract to a private firm, Road Safety Management Services Limited and other allied agencies.

The Conference of Heads of Assisted Secondary Schools (CHASS) has received 50% of funds of the free Senior High Schools (SHS) policy, deputy Finance Minister, Abena Osei-Asare has said.

According to her, the government has disbursed funds to allow the smooth implementation of the programme.

She said the Ministry of Finance had finalised preparations to credit the accounts of 647 public SHS adding that the Ministry of Education is yet to provide them with the numbers of students placed in every school.

Traders who have secured shops at the new Kotokuraba Market but have refused to move in to do business risk losing their places as the Cape coast Metropolitan Assembly [CCMA] threatens to seize the stores for others ready and willing to do business immediately.

Barely two months ago, the Metropolitan Assembly allocated stalls in the new market to traders with an expectation that they initiate their business activities to put the ultramodern market facility to use for its intended purpose.

The allocation of stalls was fraught with a lot of controversy over who the rightful occupants should be.