26
Wed, Sep
40 New Articles

Lack Of Health Personnel Affecting Quality Health Delivery In Ghana – Dir. General GHS

Dir. General GHS - Dr. Nsiah Asare

IN-House
Typography
  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

Statistics available to the Ghana Health Service indicates that the sector will need a total of a hundred and five thousand, four hundred and forty health workforce with majority being doctors to comfortably cater for the health needs of the country.

Currently the health sector can only boast of a sixty-one thousand, seven hundred and fifty-six staff capacity, leaving a 41% deficit, threatening the efficiency of health professionals.

The Director General of the Ghana Health Service, Dr. Nsiah Asare made the revelation at the 1st session of the 51st Congregation of University of Cape Coast.

According to Dr. Nsiah Asare, what is more worrying for the health sector is the inequitable distribution of the health workforce which is skewed towards urban areas to the detriment of rural and deprived communities. This trend, he cautioned, can have dire challenges for the country’s health sector, thus his resolve to ensure that the needed consultation and roadmaps are met to correct the situation.

“Our records show that 42% of all doctors in the country are based in Accra while the rest of the country contend with the 58%. Continuing to just talk about the situation without resolving them it with the seriousness it deserves will only undermine all achievements we have made over the years” he revealed.

Dr. Nsiah Asare said, the service has embarked on a number of interventions to effectively address the situation in order to facilitate an inclusive delivery towards the universal health coverage. Among these he said “the Ghana Health Service has developed Staffing Norms and conducted human resource gaps analysis for all health facilities in the country. These are being used to guide recruitment and (re)deployment decisions in the Ghana Health service”.

He added “the service is also developing human resource information system which would soon be launched to track health worker availability and distribution in Ghana health service”.

Dr. Nsiah Asare further noted that to ensure the fair distribution of health professionals across the country, the Ghana health service will no longer post health workers from the headquarters.

“Based on our staffing norms, the service will be giving recruitment quotas to the Regions and health facilities to advertise and manage the recruitment process” he indicated.
According to him, “Health workers who have been granted financial clearance and wish to work with the Ghana Health Service, would have to go to their preferred regions to compete for available slots or vacancies as Ghana health service will no longer post health workers from headquarters”.

SOURCE: KOJO DEI /ATL FM NEWS

Sign up via our free email subscription service to receive notifications when new information is available.