The whole atmosphere was emotionally charged with joy, pride and fulfilment as Dr. Lotachi Ugwunwa Onyemenam breaks the record after receiving 16 awards out of the 21 that was available for the 2018 graduating class of the University of Cape Coast Medical School.
The Chancellor, of the University of Cape Coast, Sir Sam Essuon Jonah, the Vice Chancellor Prof. Joseph Ghartey Ampiah and the Director General of the Ghana health Service Dr. Anthony Nsiah Asare who were all present at the ceremony, astonished by her impeccable performance, paid homage to her in a special way.
Dr. Onyemenam’s proud family who had travelled all the way from Nigeria to grace her graduation could not shield their excitement as they kept screaming creating an enviable scene at the auditorium where the graduation was held.
Others, including all of her colleagues, gave her a standing ovation as she walked gracefully to the podium to receive her prizes.
In all she received about 6000 Cedis cash prize, citations and plaques for her achievement.
Speaking to ATL FM’s news reporter, Kojo Dei, Dr. Onyemenam said, she was humbled by the honour done her adding, that was the beginning of more to come.
She said “It has been God from day one. As a Nigerian, chalking this success means a lot of hard work has been put into this”.
“All I can say is that I am grateful to God, but people should watch this space, as there is more to come, maybe not in the health profession but other areas”, the elated Dr, Onyemenam concluded.
Awards at this year’s function were swept by females only. Dr. Amanda Naa Atwei Bruce Adjei took one award while Dr. Akorfa Ama Wotordzo had 4 awards. They were all presented with a cash prize and a citation.
Below are the list of Awards she received
1. Best Student in Anatomy
2. Best students in Medical Biochemistry
3. Best Graduating student in physiology
4. Best Medical Informatics Student
5. Best Student in Microbiology
6. Best Student in Community-Based Experience and Service
7. Best Student in Chemical Pathology
8. Best Student in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
9. Overall best student in surgery
10. Best Student in Molecular Medicine
11. Best Graduating Student in Pharmacology
12. Best Graduating Clinical Student
13. Best Graduating Pre-Clinical Student
14. The Ghana Medical Association Prize for Best Student in MB ChB
15. Vice Chancellor’s Prize for Best Overall Performance. 16. Best Student in Paediatrics and Child Health
Source: Kojo Dei /ATL FM News